We are certain you will benefit from membership in this Board of REALTORS®, the Rhode Island Association of REALTORS® and the National Association of REALTORS®. This brochure is designed to better acquaint you with some of the many services provided by your REALTOR® organization and will answer the often posed question, "what does the Board do for me?"
DEFINITION OF A BOARD OF REALTORS®:
Former Justice Frankenthaler of the New York Supreme Court, when asked for the definition of a Board of REALTORS®, gave the following answer:
"The Board of REALTORS® is to the real estate profession what the Bar Association is to the lawyer and the Medical Association is to the doctor. It is the force for good. It is a force for the betterment of its practitioners and the public they serve. In such an association, there are crystallized rules of conduct, the guidelines and standards of stern discipline, which proclaim to the community the sense of integrity and the high qualities and ideals which you demand and which characterize the service of men of good will engaged in an honorable profession."
The term REALTOR® is a professional, collective membership designation of the National Association of REALTORS®.
The REALTOR® "R" logo is the Registered collective membership mark of the National Association of REALTORS®. Use of this logo is restricted to REALTOR® members and indicates to the public that you are a member of the National Association of REALTORS®.
Only paid members in good standing of the Local Board have authorization to use the membership marks.
Use of the REALTOR® logo: Use the Marks in connection with, but not as part of, an assumed business name or logo. Always separate the Marks from your name of firm with punctuation.
- Proper Use: Smith & Co., REALTORS
- Improper Use: Smith REALTORS
PROFESSIONAL STANDARDS - CODE OF ETHICS
Code of Ethics
As a REALTOR® you pledge to observe, uphold, and abide by the Code of Ethics. Joining a Board of REALTORS® signifies your intention to abide by the Code and thereby enhance the public and professional image of yourself and all other REALTORS®.
Adherence to the Code is the first great bond between REALTORS® throughout the country. Arbitration: Article 17 In the event of a controversy between REALTORS® associated with different firms, arising out of their relationship as REALTORS®, the REALTORS® shall submit the dispute to arbitration in accordance with the regulations of their Board or Boards rather than litigate the matter.
Board of Directors: A Board is comprised of officers and directors, all elected from and by the membership at large. They make policy decisions and carry out the business of your local Board, serving without compensation.
Committees: Members can serve on the Board’s various committees. Committee members meet to study challenges facing the real estate industry and the private property owner. Committee members constantly strive to improve and expand Board Services, coordinate civic endeavors and make plans for future growth. There are numerous Board committees, which may include the following:
- Governmental Affairs & RPAC
- Professional Standards
BENEFITS OF MEMBERSHIP
LOCAL BOARD BENEFITS
As a member of the local board of REALTORS®, you receive many benefits:
- Orientation - Orientation sessions are conducted quarterly to acquaint new members with Association services and to network with Association leaders, industry partners and other new members.
- Educational Programs are held throughout the year to grow your professional knowledge and provide you with tools and resources for your career.
- Equal Opportunity Seminars keep members informed of laws concerning fair housing. Available to all offices is a Fair Housing Pledge that demonstrates your personal commitment to provide equal housing opportunities to all people.
- Newsletters - A newsletter whether on-line or printed, will update you on legislative, legal, industry issues, motivational articles, changes in the real estate industry, market statistics as well as social events of your local board.
- Community Programs - The Board gives back to the communities it serves and invites all members to participate. Service projects include an annual scholarship program, fundraising or drives for such staples as food and school supplies.
- Functions include Wine & Unwind networking events, our annual Member Appreciation and Diamond Sales Awards Reception, Annnual Meeting and Holiday Party. These events provide our members with an opportunity to relax, make new acquaintances and share experiences.
- Web Site - The Board has a continually evolving web site, which contains REALTOR® and consumer information.
- Social Media - The Board maintains a Facebook page and keeps its members up-to-date cost-effectively through email notices.
STATE AND NATIONAL
When you become a member of the Local Board of REALTORS®, you are also a member of the National Association of REALTORS® and the Rhode Island Association of REALTORS®.
NAR is the nation’s largest trade and professional association.
- REALTOR® Magazine, a monthly publication, covers late breaking developments and provides in depth examinations of particular subjects.
- Annual Conventions - held in various parts of the United States focus on education, new products, services and gives you a chance to improve your skills and have fun as well.
- NAR Library - NAR headquarters in Chicago has the largest real estate library in the United States and is available to all members.
- nar.realtor - the NAR site offers members the most comprehensive information needed to keep you informed of the latest changes in real estate and your career.
- Dues Savings Plan offered by the REALTORS® Federal Credit Union
- Insurance - Group health insurance is available exclusively to REALTORS® at a reduced premium.
- Education and special programs - the RIAR is the largest real estate school in RI and offers a wide variety of courses for both license renewal and professional growth.
- Legislative Affairs - RIAR along with your local Boards and the National Association of REALTORS®, closely follows legislation that directly affects the industry in order to protect your rights to do business.
- Public Relations - Promotes and presents in the news media, the REALTOR® Image, policies and positions with emphasis on MLS statistics, legislative and political topics.
The State-Wide MLS offers a computerized multiple listing service, which was at one time the only statewide service in the country. In 2013, the RICIE (RI Commercial Information Exchange) was also created to maximize exposure of our members' commercial listings.
Education programs that are pertinent to your needs provide not only information, but also the motivation to enhance your image as a Professional.
The Real Estate Education Foundation offers a variety of educational programs for members. Pre-license courses, continuing education, Basic Listing and Selling Skills are courses designed to develop professional salespeople.
The Realtor Institute is one such program. It allows you to further your education and gain continuing education credits as you earn the professional designation of GRI (Graduate of the REALTOR’S® Institute).
More advanced designations, such as CRS (Certified Residential Specialist) and CRB (Certified Real Estate Brokerage Manager) are also available to qualified members of the Association as well as specialized courses approved for required Continuing Education hours.
There are ABR (Accredited Buyers’ Representative) and ABRM (Accredited Buyers’ Representative Manager).
Northern Rhode Island Board of REALTORS®, Inc.
2178 Mendon Rd, Ste 400, Cumberland, RI 02864-3825
NATIONAL ASSOCIATION of REALTORS®
|Rhode Island Association of REALTORS®
100 Bignall St.
Warwick, RI 02888
|State-Wide Multiple Listing Service
100 Bignall St.
Warwick, RI 02888